Tuesday, January 25, 2005

HIV Man-Made to Target Black Population?

When Aids was fairly new, I was listening to a talk show one day. On this particular show they discussed the belief among some Blacks that Aids was man-made, generated to control or wipe out their race.

I had not heard this supposition in such a long time, I assumed it had gone by the wayside. In a survey of 500 black people, conducted by the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, 50% of them stated they believed the HIV virus to be man-made.

I can only wonder at the phrasing of the questions. If you asked me if I think Aids could have been created by men, I would have to say yes, it is possible. If you asked me if Aids were devised as a means of population control targeting the black population, supplied with a yes or no choice, I would say no, but it would cause me to think, to doubt and wonder.

I feel it is irresponsible to even ask such a question. Why ask it? Or if the study is private to glean needed information, why publish the study. Why cause division, pain and doubt? If there were some proof or legitimacy to the veracity of these suppositions then we would need to conduct a man or woman hunt and someone needs to pay.